"We may not have it all together, but together we have it all."

Friday, October 31, 2008

"Am I doing the right things?"

Have you ever asked yourself the question, "Am I doing the right things?" Well I know I do ALL the time! Having teenage kids can sometimes be a trial and especially when you feel like you are always the "mean" or "bad" parent. We have had to deal with this a lot lately because it seems like there are so many parents now that just don't care what their kids are doing or if they even come home at night!! I know it may sound crazy to a lot of us but I deal with it ALL the time because we will not let our kids do the same things. Our kids get teased that their "mommy" is calling checking on them all the time, or they have to actually come home at night and not just get to stay wherever, they might even have to be home at 10:30!!! Imagine that! Well I received this email today that I would like to share and it just reassured me that I am doing the things that I should be and hopefully it will help my kids even though they may not think so!!

Mean Moms
Someday when my children are old enough
to
understand the logic that motivates a
parent, I will tell them, as my Mean ole Mom
told me:
I loved you enough....
to ask where you were going, with whom,
and what time you would be home.
I loved you enough to be silent and let you
discover that your new best friend was a
creep.
I loved you enough to stand over you for two
hours while you cleaned your room, a job that
should have taken 15 minutes.
I loved you enough to let you see anger,
disappointment, and tears in my eyes.
Children must learn that their parents aren't
perfect.
I loved you enough to let you assume the
responsibility for your actions even when
the
penalties were so harsh they almost broke
my heart.
But most of all, I loved you enough...to
say
NO when I knew you would hate me for it.
Those were the most difficult battles of all.
I'm
glad I won them, because in the end you
won, too.
And someday when your children are old
enough to understand the logic that motivates
parents, you will tell them.
Was your mom mean? I know mine was...
We had the meanest mother in the whole
world!
Mother insisted on knowing where we were
at all
times. You'd think we were convicts in a
prison. She
had to know who our friends were, and
what we were
doing with them. She insisted that if we
said we
would be gone for a hour, we would be
gone for an hour or less.
We were ashamed to admit it, but she had
the nerve
to break the Child Labor Laws by making
us work. We had to wash the dishes, make
the beds, learn to
cook, vacuum the floor, do laundry, empty
the trash
and all sorts of cruel jobs. I think she
would lie
awake at night thinking of more things for
us to do.
She always insisted on us telling the truth,
the
whole truth, and nothing but the truth. By
the time
we were teenagers, she could read our minds
and had eyes in the back of her head. Then, life was
really tough!
Mother wouldn't let our friends just honk
the horn
when they drove up. They had to come up to
the door
so she could meet them. While everyone else
could
date when they were 12 or 13, we had to
wait until we were 16.
Because of our mother we missed out on
lots of
things other kids experienced. None of us
have ever
been caught shoplifting, vandalizing other's
property or ever arrested for any crime. It
was all her fault.
Now that we have left home, we are all
educated,
honest adults. We are doing our best to be
mean
parents just like Mom was.
I think that is what's wrong with the world
today.
It just doesn't have enough Mean Moms!!
author unknown
So.....because I love my kids I will keep being the "mean" or "bad" mom!! :o)

1 comment:

Loree said...

I love it Tami! yes! I am a mean mom and think i will always be one. Thank heavens my mom was mean too! Thanks for sharing :)